Need help with a project? Get in touch and let's do something brilliant together.

Bark redesign

Bark is an online platform that matches customers looking for local services with suitable professionals who offer those services.

 

For the customer it acts like a services search engine, and for the local professionals it's an effective lead generation tool.

Problem
An outdated, copy-heavy website that mixed together old brand visual elements and lacked coherence.
Brief
Redesign the website and create consistent content layouts that clearly demonstrate the key themes of the business.
Challenges
  1. 15 brand new pages to design and develop within 6 weeks
  2. Numerous different messages that key stakeholders want to convey
Involvement
Research
Wireframing
Copywriting

The results

Project details

Decision #1
Design through collaboration

From day one I knew it was going to require effective teamwork to get this project delivered. 

I went to key stakeholders across the business (the founders, developers and Head of Marketing) to establish the themes that we would want to include on the new website. 

From here I teamed up with the Head of Design to plan the content layouts, and collate visual inspiration for the look and feel of the new site. 

Decision #2
Embrace minimalism

The existing designs were cluttered and confusing. It was time for a spring clean of the site, embracing a more minimalist approach.

I stripped back the content and broke it up into easily digestible sections on all pages. 

 

Letting the words breathe on the screen gives them more impact, and gives a more relaxed experience for users browsing the site.

Decision #3
Create content from scratch

The majority of the existing content was outdated, and some of it inaccurate. I decided it was better to start fresh, rather than simply editing the existing material. 

I created wireframes with initial copy suggestions, establishing a clear style for both content and interaction.

Decision #4
Adopt agile development

With 15 brand new pages to create within 6 weeks, we needed a slick approach to design sign-off and implementation. 

From the outset we prioritised the pages that would require the most development resource. I then created high fidelity wireframes in batches, starting with the most dev-heavy. 

 

As batches were approved, our UI designer would then turn the wireframes into final designs and pass them to the developers to to code them up. In the meantime, I moved on to the next batch of wireframes.

 

This process worked brilliantly, like a well-oiled machine, and we delivered all the final page designs within the 6 week timeframe.